- This event has passed.
East Medford Village Historic Walking Tour
Saturday, August 12 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 amFree
The Preservation Collaborative invites you to “Pleasant, Healthy and Convenient: A Walking Tour of East Medford Village.”
In 1854, Horatio Nelson Williams advertised lots for sale for his new development along the Boston and Maine Railroad. Proudly proclaiming this to be “The New Village of East Medford,” the name would later be replaced by Williamsburg, then Glenwood for its fringe location. As Medford developed into a streetcar suburb, the original 14-house development grew to include commercial businesses. Residents were working class individuals.
This 90-minute walking tour, led by architectural historian Ryan D. Hayward, will focus on highlighting both residential and commercial architecture, and the occupants.
The program is free and open to the public and is supported in part by a grant from the Medford Arts Council, a local agency that is supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, and by the City of Medford.
Meet at the intersection of Lawrence and Evans Streets (Lawrence Street runs off of Spring Street). Unrestricted parking is available along any of the streets. The tour is a one-mile loop along paved sidewalks. Please wear comfortable shoes and dress according to the weather. Rain will cause the event to be rescheduled.
For more information about this event or the Preservation Collaborative, please visit the organization’s website.